Migraines affect 10 to 12% of the population. Vestibular migraines affect between 1 and 3% of people, making this an extremely common type of migraine. Thus, it makes sense to learn more about vestibular migraines and how to find relief.
What Is a Vestibular Migraine?
Like other migraine types, a vestibular migraine can present with a moderate to severe headache, but this is not always the case. The predominant symptoms of a vestibular migraine include:
- Vertigo – a false sensation of movement, often the feeling that the room is spinning
- Motion sickness
- Dizziness – lightheadedness
- Ataxia – a loss of control of the movement of the body, making it difficult to stand or walk
Other symptoms may include hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing or buzzing in the ears), or light and sound sensitivity.
Since vestibular migraine symptoms are so focused on the ear and the body’s system of balance, many wonder if a natural solution is possible. The good news is that there is a natural means of achieving relief from both migraines and vertigo.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic and Vestibular Migraines
When the C1 and C2 vertebrae are out of alignment, they can put pressure on the brainstem, blood flow to the brain may be hindered, and cerebrospinal fluid drainage may be affected. These neurovascular effects can result in migraines and also throw off the body’s balance system. As a result, there are many case studies related to migraines, headaches, vertigo, and the like that reveal the benefits of upper cervical chiropractic care.
Upper cervical chiropractic is gentle and does not involve the popping and twisting of the spine that many commonly associate with general chiropractic. Precise and gentle adjustments lead to long-term relief that gives the body time to heal. Many have found this to be a cost-effective way to reduce migraines and avoid the use of painkillers. To learn more, find an upper cervical chiropractor near you.
Latest posts by Dr. Sherwood (see all)
- What Causes Vertigo and How Can You Stop the World from Spinning? - September 23, 2018
- Migraines: Alleviating the Pain at Home and with Professional Help - June 24, 2018
- The Three Stages of Meniere’s Disease – How to Find Natural Relief - March 25, 2018