Vertigo, the sensation that everything is spinning, is a common condition that affects people across the country and the rest of the planet. In fact, up to 10% of people under 40 experience vertigo at some point, and 40% of people over 40 have to deal with this condition. In a recent 10-year period, 2.5% of ER visits were due to vertigo.
When vertigo occurs, there is an issue in the vestibular system. This body system controls balance and orientation of the body. It includes the inner ear as well as the nerves that communicate information about body position and location to the brain. When signals to the brain become distorted, vertigo can result.
Traditional vertigo treatment focuses on medications to deal with symptoms. Natural treatments focus on helping the brain to interpret signals property, thereby reducing the frequency and severity of attacks or eliminating them altogether. This is why more people are beginning to seek out alternative vertigo treatment. A doctor from Colorado believes that a particular way of performing a somersault can reset the ear fluid and treat vertigo. Upper cervical doctors utilize specific upper cervical methods to correct a common cause of vertigo.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care for Vertigo
Upper Cervical Doctors frequently relieve vertigo by focusing on the C1 and C2 vertebrae, the upper cervical spine. A misalignment in this part of the neck can have effects on the vestibular system both distorting the messages of the body and affecting the ear.
If fact, one clinical study revealed that 60 vertigo patients under upper cervical care all saw benefits. 80% experienced complete resolution of vertigo. The other 20% experienced improvements in severity and frequency.
We hope to provide similar results for our patients. Schedule a consultation to learn more about how upper cervical chiropractic can help with vertigo.
- Friedman M, Hamid MA, Samy HM.. Dizziness, Vertigo, and Imbalance.. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2149881-overview (accessed 29 May 2015).
- Kerber KA, Meurer WJ, West BT, Fendrick AM. Dizziness presentations in U.S. emergency departments, 1995-2004. Acad Emerg Med. Aug 2008;15(8):744-50.
- Voron, Stephen. “The Vestibular System”. University of Utah School of Medicine.
- CBS News Denver. Colorado Doctor Finds Way To Treat Common Vertigo. http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/04/23/colorado-doctor-finds-way-to-treat-common-vertigo/ (accessed 28 May 2015).
- Elster E. Sixty patients with chronic vertigo undergoing upper cervical chiropractic care to correct vertebral subluxation: a retrospective analysis. Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research, Nov. 8, 2006:1-9.
Latest posts by Dr. Kleinfelter (see all)
- Little-Know Facts About Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - February 10, 2019
- The Truth About the Biggest Back Pain Misconceptions - December 9, 2018
- Natural Relief for the Most Common Causes of Vertigo is Possible! - October 14, 2018