Types of Vertigo and an Underlying Cause

Vertigo classification and predisposing factors

Central vertigo is considered to be the far less common reason for vertigo to occur (most diagnosed cases are peripheral vertigo – related to problems in the ear). Central vertigo is nervous system related. What are some conditions that cause central vertigo? What is one underlying vertigo factor that has a natural solution? Read on to learn more about vertigo related to the central nervous system and the neck.

  • Cervical Vertigo – This refers to vertigo related to a neck injury. The injury may result in misalignments, fractures, or other damage can that lead to vertigo.
  • Tullio’s Phenomenon – This refers to vertigo that due to loud noise. In some cases, doctors trace it back to a perilymph fistula, which would actually make vertigo peripheral rather than central. You may have a fistula if you hear a high-pitched sound in your ear when blowing your nose.
  • Factitious Vertigo – This refers to vertigo that is due to conditions like, anxiety or depression.
  • Migraines – About 40% of migraine patients present with vertigo as a symptom of this neurological condition.
  • Whiplash Injury Syndrome – This is related to cervical vertigo. While 75% of patients who experience vertigo following a whiplash injury see symptoms reside within a year, the other 25% of patients can experience vertigo for years following the injury.
  • Post-Concussion Syndrome – After a concussion, symptoms like vertigo can continue on for months or even years.

Underlying Cause of All Types of Vertigo & a Simple Solution

Many of the vertigo types above go back to the same issue, a head or neck injury. When a person experiences whiplash, a concussion, or another head or neck injury, upper cervical misalignments are common. This can lead to vertigo symptoms. Thus, it becomes clear that such a misalignment can be behind many of the conditions noted above.

If a misalignment is behind your vertigo, the simple solution is to have the misalignment corrected by an upper cervical chiropractor. Upper cervical chiropractors are trained to identify and correct this specific type of misalignment in the upper neck. Many patients find that overall health benefits come from this precise and gentle adjustment. To learn more, find an upper cervical chiropractor near you.

 

Find An Upper Cervical Doctor in Your Areato schedule a consultation today.

Find an Upper Cervical Specialist In Your Area

to schedule a consultation today.

Search
Featured Articles

Videos

Montel Williams
Montel Williams

TV show host Montel Williams describes how specific chiropractic care has helped his body.

NBC's The Doctors

The TV show "The Doctors" showcased Upper Cervical Care.

CBS News/Migraine Relief

CBS News highlighted the alleviation of Migraines and Headaches.

The content and materials provided in this web site are for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended to supplement or comprise a medical diagnosis or other professional opinion, or to be used in lieu of a consultation with a physician or competent health care professional for medical diagnosis and/or treatment. All content and materials including research papers, case studies and testimonials summarizing patients' responses to care are intended for educational purposes only and do not imply a guarantee of benefit. Individual results may vary, depending upon several factors including age of the patient, severity of the condition, severity of the spinal injury, and duration of time the condition has been present.

©2015–2024 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.