Migraines are disabling to those that get them and can even affect their family members. It may be hard to believe, but the Migraine Research Foundation reports that 14 million migraines afflict people every day, with 18% of sufferers being women and 6% being men. What are migraine symptoms?
- Extreme head pain
- Visual disturbances
- Problems with hearing
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and smell
They can last from anywhere to a few hours to a few days. They are hard to cope with and even harder when it comes to being diagnosed and cared for by professionals. Most medical doctors will recommend one or a combination of the following
- Medication: Over-the-counter NSAIDs are usually the initial suggestion. These drugs are nonsteroidal and anti-inflammatory and include ibuprofen as the main ingredient.
- Prescription medication: If the above does not work, the next step is a prescription of beta-blockers or anti-seizure drugs. These have a long list of unwanted side-effects.
- Keeping a food journal: This can help the person to find and avoid triggers to their migraines. Unfortunately, such things as chocolate, wine and coffee can be triggers for some.
Medical professionals are beginning to recognize that migraines originate in the neck and spine due to a misalignment. This can create an irritation of the nerves. Doctors are recommending anesthetic injections to the neck to give a few days of relief.
While all of these options may help alleviate symptoms, chances are a migraine will return because the root cause is not being addressed. The trend being seen is that many people are looking for a more natural method of relief.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care and Migraines
For many years now we have understood that a misalignment in the upper neck vertebrae creates the right conditions for migraine headaches. We use a natural remedy that has been proven to work in only one or two upper cervical adjustments. The method used is gentle and will restore nerve function back to normal. When properly aligned, pressure on the nerves is relieved, and migraines may be a thing of the past.
Latest posts by Dr. Gottlieb (see all)
- Ways that Modern Medicine Lets Down Vertigo Patients - September 16, 2018
- Headache Types: Which One Do You Suffer From? - June 17, 2018
- How Doctors Assess Dizziness Conditions and a Way to Get Natural Relief - March 18, 2018