If a person is suffering from a chronic illness such as chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia, he or she needs your full support. While you may be willing to provide such support, there are certain things that one may say that will make a patient feel otherwise. Here are a few things to avoid if you want your loved one to feel your empathy.
Sayings that Hurt Rather than Help
Here are the top things to avoid saying to a friend or family member with a chronic illness:
- “You don’t seem sick to me.” – This is the equivalent of telling someone, “It’s all in your head.” You may just be trying to be comforting about the person’s appearance, but the patient takes it as an accusation that the condition is imaginary.
- “I feel so bad for you.” – Most people who are chronically ill don’t want pity. Don’t be afraid to let your loved one know that you are here for him or her in times of need, but don’t speak to the person as though he or she is to be pitied.
- “You’ll be as good as new in no time.” – That’s not how chronic illness works, and the idea that false hope is better than no hope doesn’t really apply. It’s better to help your loved one learn to accept limitations and seek the best care possible.
- “I know what you’re feeling.” – Unless you suffer from the same chronic illness (or something genuinely comparable), don’t say you know how your friend feels. Even if you are the most empathetic person alive, your loved one will probably feel like his or her health condition is being minimized.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue
When a person is suffering from a chronic illness, medications often do little more than temporarily mitigate symptoms. Upper cervical chiropractic offers a natural option that may help relieve some of the pain and other symptoms. This is accomplished by correcting upper cervical misalignments that affect the brainstem, cerebrospinal fluid flow, and blood flow to the brain, thereby helping the nervous system to function optimally. For more information, schedule an appointment.
Latest posts by Dr. Read (see all)
- How Peripheral Vertigo Relates to the Neck - October 14, 2018
- 8 Common TMD Symptoms and How to Find Natural Relief - July 8, 2018
- What Is Central Sensitization and How Does It Relate to Fibromyalgia? - April 15, 2018