Summer is a popular time to take a vacation, and the last thing you need while you’re trying to enjoy a break is a migraine. That’s why we’ve compiled these 5 tips for keeping migraines at bay while flying to your sunny summer destination.
- Don’t drink and fly. Many people like to have an alcoholic beverage to calm their nerves before flying, but the high altitude increases the effects. Thus, you could end up with a migraine caused by not being properly hydrated. Drink water instead.
- Bring your neck pillow. If you fall asleep with your neck kinked to the side, this could easily trigger a migraine. Most people don’t associate migraines with neck problems, but neck pain is actually one of the most common migraine symptoms and precursors.
- Avoid food triggers. You can’t control the weather or how much perfume the person sitting next to you decides to wear, but if there are triggers you can avoid, definitely do so. Don’t eat anything you have a sensitivity to since an allergic reaction can lead to a migraine.
- Stay ahead of migraines. Instead of simply carrying pain meds on the plane should a migraine strike, take proactive measures to reduce the frequency and severity of attacks. What can be done? We’d like to introduce you to upper cervical chiropractic care.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic and Migraines
When the top two bones in the neck are out of alignment, it can affect everything from cerebrospinal fluid drainage to brainstem function. As a result, migraines may become a regular occurrence. This is especially common for concussion victims or those who have experienced whiplash. However, these bones can also misalign due to the normal wear and tear of poor posture.
Upper cervical chiropractors specialize in providing gentle and precise adjustments that correct C1 and C2 subluxations. These adjustments may relieve the underlying issues that are resulting in migraines. To learn more and to find out if you have an upper cervical misalignment, contact a practice in your area and schedule an examination.
Latest posts by Dr. Sherwood (see all)
- The Three Stages of Meniere’s Disease – How to Find Natural Relief - March 25, 2018
- Headaches: Do They Really Cause Brain Tissue Damage? - December 24, 2017
- Everything You Want to Know About Meniere’s Disease - September 24, 2017