Vertigo is well-known for its spinning or whirling sensation. However, healthcare experts do not consider vertigo as a medical condition. For them, it is merely a symptom of an underlying, more severe illness. Regardless of the labels, finding relief from vertigo is vital. Good thing there are many vertigo home remedies that people can try.
There are different ways to classify vertigo, and we will cover them in this section. In case you didn’t know, vertigo can be classified based on the person’s perception of who or what is spinning.
1. The perceived source of the whirling sensation
- Objective – when a person opens his eyes and sees his surroundings moving in a circular direction, this is Objective Vertigo.
- Subjective – once a person senses he is whirling even when he is still, he has Subjective Vertigo.
2. Likely cause
- Central – based on its name, this type of vertigo traces its roots to the central nervous system. Brain or spinal cord issues probably induced this type of vertigo. People with central vertigo must get immediate attention to ensure the matter does not become grave and deadly.
- Peripheral- this type of vertigo means that the issue comes from the inner ears. It is a common type of vertigo.
Vertigo Causes and Triggers
Knowing what causes your vertigo and what triggers them can help you identify what relief options and vertigo home remedies to pursue.
- Acute labyrinthitis is an infection-induced inflammation of the bony labyrinth in the inner ears.
- Vestibular neuritis, or the inflammation of the vestibular nerve, is due to a viral infection.
- Benign positional paroxysmal vertigo (BPPV) occurs due to dislodged calcium crystals in the inner ears. Any head movement jostles these crystals, which can irritate the delicate linings of the inner ears.
- Cholesteatoma is an abnormal skin growth that usually develops in the middle part of the ears, probably due to repeated ear infections.
- Herpes zoster oticus is another viral infection that affects the ears (inner, middle, and outer parts).
- Vesicular rashes are skin blisters filled with fluids. It can set off vertigo when located in the auditory canals erupt.
- Ménière’s disease occurs due to drainage issues in the inner ears’ canals that lead to fluid build-up.
- Otosclerosis is a bone disease affecting the middle and inner ear bones.
- Perilymphatic fistula happens when one of the membranes that separate the middle and inner ear tears down. Usually, this occurs when the person is close to a loud explosion or receives an injury that punctures the eardrums.
- Transient ischemic attack or temporary stroke occurs when a part of the brain temporarily stops getting infused with blood.
- Migraines are pervasive and throbbing aches in the head. Sometimes, the vertigo home remedies can take care of some migraine effects.
- Multiple sclerosis is a disease that targets the brain and the spinal cord that results in numerous symptoms like balance problems.
- Cervical vertigo happens due to damage to the neck or the cervical spine.
- Drug-induced vertigo happens when a person develops adverse reactions to medications.
- High stress levels can also trigger vertigo.
Effects Of a Vertigo Episode
- Rotary motion
- Feeling tilted or being swayed
- Losing balance
- Feeling queasy
- Desire to vomit
- Ringing in the ears
- Instances of nystagmus, which is the rapid unforced movements of the eyes
Simple Vertigo Home Remedies
Get enough rest.
A vertigo episode can leave the person feeling disconcerted. Try loading up on rest when you can. The plus side is that you won’t need to deal with your vertigo while you are asleep. Also, it helps your body calm down, which can significantly lessen the other effects of vertigo.
Find ways to manage your stress.
Being sick can turn up the dial on your stress levels. Try some simple breathing exercises and meditation techniques to keep your stress under wraps. Letting it get out of hand will aggravate the effects of your vertigo.
Take some prescription medication.
Although there is no known cure for vertigo, widely available medicines can address nausea and headaches. Your healthcare professional can help you with this.
Eat and hydrate well.
You might think that this is simple enough, but most sick people don’t have the appetite and often forego this. Try not to do so. Your body needs all the nourishment. Drink your eight glasses of water to help your body flush out toxins that might add to your troubles.
Skip your vices for now.
Don’t reach out for that cigarette because doing so might worsen your overall feeling. It can intensify your headaches and make the spinning sensation more intense. If you can stop this vice altogether, the better.
Upper Cervical Care Provides Vertigo Relief
Upper cervical chiropractors can complete full assessments of your cervical spine or neck. They can uncover misalignment concerns caused by dislodged bones and discs. When they get to restore symmetry, they also help restore the pathways in the spine and brain. By relieving the possible causes of tension and pressure, a person may significantly reduce the effects of vertigo.
If you consider chiropractic care, you can find the nearest chiropractic professional in your area using this directory. Upper Cervical Awareness has an extensive list of chiropractors. Our directory contains all the necessary details you would need to schedule your first appointment.
Regardless if you have subjective or objective vertigo, this condition is cause for worry. However, you do not need to put up with it. Go ahead and find a trusted local upper cervical chiropractor to help with your vertigo symptoms.