Vertigo can spring up at an unexpected time, and a severe bout can even result in a fall. Is there anything that a person can do to keep vertigo from occurring? Let’s take a look a few of the common triggers of a vertigo attack and a natural way to get to the underlying problem.
Avoiding a Vertigo Episode
The older population, in particular, has to be on guard against vertigo. After the age of 40, a person has a 40% chance of experiencing vertigo. By the age of 65, a person has a 1 in 3 chance of having a fall each year. And vertigo seems only to worsen as a person gets older.
If you are beginning to experience frequent bouts of vertigo, here are a few triggers to avoid:
- Rapid movement of the head – This is why many experience vertigo when getting up too fast from bed. The head moves quickly, and blood pressure may drop.
- Bright lights – It might be a good idea to keep the lights dimmer when dealing with frequent vertigo episodes.
- Looking up – Whether it has to do with the movement of the eyes or tilting the head backward, looking up seems to be another trigger.
- Bending over – Many elderly ones find that leaning forward leads to sudden vertigo and is a frequent cause of falls.
Of course, avoiding these 4 triggers can require a person having his or her guard up at all times. There certain times a person just has to bend over. Or a sound might cause one to turn the head quickly without thinking about it. There has to be a better way.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic and Vertigo
Evidence continues to mount showing that upper cervical chiropractic can help to reduce the frequency and severity of vertigo. In one recent study, a patient with vertigo due to Meniere’s disease saw complete resolution of this and other symptoms. In another study, 80% of patients experienced complete relief of vertigo, and the other 20% experienced a significant severity reduction. These studies really encourage anyone with vertigo to see an upper cervical chiropractor.
Latest posts by Dr. Lin - Patrick (see all)
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD): Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment - January 20, 2019
- Everything You Need to Know About Positional Vertigo - July 15, 2018
- Traditional Migraine Treatment Options Versus Natural Care - March 18, 2018