Vertigo can spring up at an unexpected time, and a severe bout can even result in a fall. Is there anything that a person can do to keep the spinning sensation from occurring? Let’s take a look at a few of the common triggers of a vertigo attack and a natural way to get to the underlying problem.
Avoiding a Vertigo Episode
The older population, in particular, has to be on guard against vertigo. After the age of 40, a person has a 40% chance of experiencing vertigo. By the age of 65, a person has a 1 in 3 chance of having a fall each year. And vertigo seems only to worsen as a person gets older.
If you are beginning to experience frequent bouts of spinning sensation, here are a few triggers to avoid:
- Rapid movement of the head – This is why many experience spinning sensation when getting up too fast from bed. The head moves quickly, and blood pressure may drop.
- Bright lights – It might be a good idea to keep the lights dimmer when dealing with frequent vertigo episodes.
- Looking up – Whether it has to do with the movement of the eyes or tilting the head backward, looking up seems to be another trigger.
- Bending over – Many elderly ones find that leaning forward leads to sudden vertigo and is a frequent cause of falls.
Of course, avoiding these 4 triggers can require a person having his or her guard up at all times. There certain times a person just has to bend over. Or a sound might cause one to turn the head quickly without thinking about it. There has to be a better way.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic and Vertigo
Evidence continues to mount showing that upper cervical chiropractic can help to reduce the frequency and severity of spinning sensation. In one recent study, a patient with vertigo due to Meniere’s disease saw a complete resolution of this and other symptoms. In another study, 80% of patients experienced complete relief of vertigo, and the other 20% experienced a significant severity reduction. These studies really encourage anyone with vertigo to see an upper cervical chiropractor.
- Vertigo – The Surprising Facts You Need to Know - March 17, 2019
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD): Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment - January 20, 2019
- Everything You Need to Know About Positional Vertigo - July 15, 2018