Migraines are a common problem in the US. If you think you suffer alone, guess again. There are approximately 36 million migraine sufferers in the US alone. Let’s take a closer look at this neurological condition that afflicts so many.
Facts About Migraines
- Around 10% of Americans have experienced a migraine.
- More people experience the condition than the total number of people diagnosed with asthma and diabetes.
- Approximately 1 in 4 US households has a migraine sufferer.
- As many as 90% of those who suffer from the disorder are female.
- US workers lose approximately 113 million days of work annually due to migraines. That translates into $13 billion.
- Migraines are listed among the top 20 most debilitating health conditions.
- US emergency rooms see a patient for a migraine every 10 seconds.
Treating This Condition at Their Source
The problem with the way modern medicine treats the condition is that medication is designed to mitigate symptoms rather than stopping the underlying problem. It makes sense from a pharmaceutical company’s point of view. If medication stopped migraines, you would only need one pill. Pain medications, however, just mask the symptoms. Thus, a patient needs another pill every time an episode occurs or daily if it is a preventative medication. That’s just better for sales.
Upper cervical chiropractors take a different approach. Healthcare should be about taking care of the patient, not ensuring a long-term client. When the C1 and C2 vertebrae are out of alignment, this can cause migraines. Realigning the vertebrae can reduce the frequency of episodes or even eliminate the condition.
Diagnostic techniques determine the position of C1 and C2. Specific adjustments restore proper function. Gentle adjustments are only performed when needed. That’s the upper cervical chiropractic way. Why not see if upper cervical care is right for you?