Back in 2013, the American Headache Society released a list of common medical practices related to chronic headache conditions that needed to be adjusted. Unfortunately, many still seem to be receiving the same outdated level of care. Let’s look at some of the things the AHS recommended holding off on. Then we will discuss a modern and natural way to get relief from chronic headache conditions.
Overused or Unnecessary Headache Care
Here are some of the common medical practices involving headaches that may prove to be unnecessary:
- CT Scans – The AHS recommends against using CT scans for headache conditions if an MRI can be used. The only exception is in emergency situations.
- Surgery – A surgical practice that may be recommended for migraine patients involves surgically deactivating trigger points. The AHS recommends against this surgery outside of clinical trials.
- Opioids – Many physicians still turn immediately to opioids for head pain patients. Addictive medications are not recommended for recurring headache disorders that require frequent medication use.
- Over-the-Counter Painkillers – When chronic headache conditions lead to the frequent or long-term use of over-the-counter pain pills, rebound (medication overuse) headaches may occur and make matters worse.
Drug-Free Head Pain Care with Less Imaging
Upper cervical chiropractic care is an alternative that involves no medications—over-the-counter, addictive substances, or otherwise—and usually only involves a few x-rays to confirm the location and degree of misalignment. Misalignments of the C1 and C2 can lead to head pain and migraine conditions. This is because these bones protect the brainstem and help to facilitate blood and cerebrospinal fluid flow.
Using a gentle adjustment to correct such a misalignment, patients experience a reduction in the severity and frequency of their head pains. Some even see a complete end to the problem. But where do upper cervical misalignments come from? Anything from a car accident to a slip and fall may be responsible.
If you suffer from a chronic headache condition, especially if you have ever experienced any kind of head or neck trauma, seek out an upper cervical chiropractor near you. The solution may involve fewer tests and pills than you think.
- Meniere’s Disease Study: Discover What Already Works - September 6, 2020
- Trusted Online Resources for Migraine Awareness and Support - June 7, 2020
- Fact: Improving Spinal Alignment Brings Vertigo Relief - March 1, 2020