When a person is dealing with fibromyalgia, brain fog is a common symptom. In fact, many patients simply refer to it as fibro fog. Cognitive symptoms include problems with memory and concentration. Is there a natural way to cope with this difficult fibromyalgia symptom?
What Contributes to Fibro Fog?
Cognitive problems related to this chronic pain condition come from a variety of sources, including:
- Sleep difficulties – Restorative sleep is important to cognitive function. Unfortunately, for many fibromyalgia patients, a good night’s rest is an infrequent occurrence.
- Anxiety – Anxiety and depression are both known to accompany fibromyalgia, and these conditions can add to mental confusion.
- Medication – Many of the medications provided for fibromyalgia suffers may affect the brain.
What can be done to help alleviate the confusion and memory issues associated with fibromyalgia?
Natural Fibromyalgia Relief
There are a number of natural ways to try to combat fibro fog. Some of these include:
- Dietary changes – Omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins are vital to proper brain function. As a result, adding things to one’s diet such as fish that have been wild-caught, oils like coconut and walnut oil, certain vegetables and fruits, as well as seasonings like turmeric, may all be beneficial.
- Supplements – Of course, B vitamins and omega-3s can also be supplemented. Other supplements that may have beneficial effects include CoQ10. However, you should check to make sure any supplement you decide to take won’t interact with your fibromyalgia medications.
The best way to deal with fibro fog and the other symptoms of this chronic pain condition is to attack it at its source. Many cases of fibromyalgia occur following trauma to the body, usually involving the head or neck. This is because the upper cervical spine can have a major impact on neurological function as well as the others symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Thus, we encourage anyone who is suffering from fibromyalgia to have the upper cervical spine checked for misalignments by a professional. If the atlas or axis is out of alignment, a gentle readjustment may set a person on the path to better overall health.