How a Minor Head Injury Can Lead to Vertigo

Can a minor head injury lead to vertigo?

When it comes to conditions like vertigo, most people would say that a head injury would have to be classified as a concussion before there is any reason to worry about future effects. However, researchers believe that even trivial head trauma can result in vertigo and other “post-concussion” symptoms. What are the underlying factors?

Head Injuries, Inflammation, and Vertigo

One factor that ties together all of the symptoms that can follow a head injury is inflammation. When damage occurs in the body, even minor damage, inflammation is the body’s response. Because of this, researchers are hoping to promote the term post-inflammatory brain syndrome to replace post-concussion syndrome since the later implies that only more serious injuries cause aftereffects like vertigo.

How Vertigo May Be Related to the Neck

When a head injury occurs, simultaneous neck injuries are common. In fact, about 90% of neck problems are attributed to trauma. Upper cervical subluxations can also create the environment that leads to vertigo and other post-concussion symptoms. As a result, many see the onset of vertigo after head or neck injuries.

For example, in a study involving 60 vertigo sufferrers, more than 93% could recall a head or neck injury that led up to the onset of symptoms. In that same study, 100% of sufferrers benefited from the same form of care—upper cervical chiropractic. In fact, while 20% of sufferrers saw a significant reduction in symptoms, the other 80% were completely vertigo-free in under 6 months.

Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care for Vertigo

Most forms of upper cervical care involve a low force correction which means you don’t have to go through the popping or twisting of the neck associated with general chiropractic. Rather, it entails a gentle and specific adjustment that encourages the spine to realign naturally with minimal force.  Thus, adjustments are long-lasting and give the body the time it needs to heal.

If you are dealing with the pain of vertigo, especially if you have a history of trauma (even a minor head injury), upper cervical chiropractic may be the natural means of relief you have been searching for.

Find An Upper Cervical Doctor in Your Areato schedule a consultation today.


Featured Articles


Montel Williams
Montel Williams

TV show host Montel Williams describes how specific chiropractic care has helped his body.

NBC's The Doctors

The TV show "The Doctors" showcased Upper Cervical Care.

CBS News/Migraine Relief

CBS News highlighted the alleviation of Migraines and Headaches.

The content and materials provided in this web site are for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended to supplement or comprise a medical diagnosis or other professional opinion, or to be used in lieu of a consultation with a physician or competent health care professional for medical diagnosis and/or treatment. All content and materials including research papers, case studies and testimonials summarizing patients' responses to care are intended for educational purposes only and do not imply a guarantee of benefit. Individual results may vary, depending upon several factors including age of the patient, severity of the condition, severity of the spinal injury, and duration of time the condition has been present.