With many countries enforcing lockdown protocols, many people don’t have a choice but to stay at home 24/7. This has decreased physical activity as more and more folks skip their usual trip to the gym or morning workout routine. Furthermore, the situation has pushed companies to embrace the work from home setup. Unfortunately, these massive changes have increased the risk for various health issues, including chronic back pain.
So how can you manage this situation? Is there a way to get rid of lockdown back pain? Can natural remedies like upper cervical care help you cope? Let’s answer all these questions as we further discuss lockdown back pain.
Things and Other Factors that Triggers Back Pain
Before you seek pain relief options such as upper cervical chiropractic adjustment, it’s crucial to trace your pain’s root cause. Take note that while it’s easy to blame it all on your sedentary lockdown lifestyle, it’s still wise to rule out other possible back pain causes such as:
- Structural defect along your spine
- Slipped or herniated vertebral discs
- Kidney malfunction/disease
- Osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Scoliosis or other forms of abnormal spine curvature
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Poor body posture when sitting or walking
- History of head, neck, or spine injury
If your pain stems from an underlying health concern, you need to seek medical assistance as soon as you can. This way, you can ensure that the remedy or treatment you use can resolve your symptoms’ root cause.
On one hand, if you’re indeed suffering from backaches due to lack of physical activity and prolonged sitting in front of the desk, you can try the remedies below.
Ways to Getting Rid of Lockdown Backaches
Back pains can affect your day-to-day activities, especially if they occur many times. They can also cause debilitating effects if they persist longer than usual or cause stabbing or searing pain. Below are some proven and natural ways you can get rid of your pesky back pain problem during a lockdown period.
Say no to long hours sitting on your desk
Did you know that the spine tends to suffer more when you’re sitting down? While the WFH setup indeed provides a lot of convenience to employees, it can also increase the risk for back pains. To minimize your risk or reduce the symptoms you experience, you should do slow and gentle stretches between a work hour.
You can also invest in ergonomic work furniture. If that’s not an option for you, try inclining your back by 135 degrees to reduce vertebral disc compression.
Say yes to stretching
Doing stretching exercises can do wonders for your back. For starters, it strengthens the muscles and the joints to prevent injuries. Proper and gentle stretching also comes in handy in easing muscle tension. This way, you can improve the range of motion your back muscles and ligaments can do.
Doing mild exercise or workout routine
Although back pain can prevent you from doing many things, you should still maintain a good exercise routine. Even when you’re indoors because of strict sheltering in place protocols in your city or state, you can do several exercises that can help you cope with back pain. Some of these include:
- Partial crunches – Partial curls help provide support to the spine and pelvis. Both parts of the body play a role in stabilizing the back muscles.
- Bridges – It’s a type of exercise that aims to strengthen the gluteus maximus or the muscles on the buttocks. It is useful in ensuring that your lower back gets enough structural support.
- Pelvic tilts – This simple movement helps release the tension on the back muscles, especially those near the pelvic bone.
- Superman exercise – It aims to strengthen the core muscles, a vital part of the body that helps prevent the back muscles from getting strained.
Invest in excellent quality mattress and pillow
Having the right mattress and pillow can make a huge difference to your condition. These simple items ensure that your back gets enough support even when you’re lying down. It also helps minimize spine structural problems, especially if you had a previous neck trauma or injury. When you shop for beds and pillows for back pain relief, here are some useful tips you can use:
- Follow your instincts when shopping for a mattress replacement – In short, pick one that best corresponds to your body’s need and your preference.
- Find one that provides ample support – This is quite important, especially if you suffer from spine structural problems such as spondylosis or scoliosis.
- Consider your sleeping positions when shopping for pillows – For example, if you tend to sleep on your back, you should pick thin pillows. If, on the other hand, you’re a side sleeper, you should opt for pillows that provide enough support to your back and spine.
Sticking to a healthy diet
While it may sound cliché, eating a balanced and healthy diet remains one of the key ways to prevent the onset of various health issues. By ensuring that you get enough nutrients for your body, you can speed up the healing process. This is quite useful, especially if you suffered from injuries.
Besides eating healthy, it would help if you also aimed to avoid food products that can exacerbate your current back pain. Some food items you should consume less include:
- Those that contain alcohol or caffeine
- Processed food products
- Items that contain a lot of corn syrup
- Too many dairy products
Relieving Backaches with Upper Cervical Care
Besides practicing the relief options enumerated above, you might also see promising results with upper cervical chiropractic care. It’s a simple process that aims to correct neck bone misalignments, which are quite common among those who had neck or head injuries before. This procedure also helps alleviate other symptoms that come with back pain by restoring your brainstem’s function or the nervous system’s information expressway.
Many patients now choose to have their neck assessed and adjusted because of the strong links established between various painful and debilitating symptoms like back pain with spinal misalignment. They have experienced life-changing relief from their backaches, allowing them to take back their life.
If you haven’t heard about neck chiropractic care before, you can consult with a nearby upper cervical care practitioner. Feel free to ask questions about your symptoms. You deserve to experience a life free from lockdown back pain, especially during these challenging times.