No thanks to hectic schedules and heavy workloads, migraines have become common in the population. Often, it causes severe disability, affecting a person’s productivity and concentration.
The intensity and frequency of each episode tend to differ from one person to another. Taking prescribed medication for migraines is usually the first course of action to cope with the pain.
However, if you’re looking for sustainable migraine relief, our list, which includes going to a chiropractor for migraines and making a few lifestyle changes, may be of great help to you.
Learn more about these in the discussion below.
Essential Hacks to Manage Migraine Attacks
After a few migraine episodes, it’s sometimes easier to figure out patterns that could improve your symptoms. Besides that, you may also have a few ideas on you on how to manage your episodes better.
Below are the top things you can change or integrate into your lifestyle so you can decrease the frequency or intensity of your migraine symptoms. These are some of the common tips that a chiropractor for migraines provide to their patients:
Work on your stress management
- Make sure to take a break – Taking a break, even for a mere 5 to 20 minutes, can do wonders to your body. You can try to doze off or stretch a little bit. You can try walking around too. Do whatever suits you.
- Maintain an active lifestyle – If you’ve never engaged in an active lifestyle before, you can slowly integrate activities into your routine. Some of the exercises you can pursue are swimming, cycling, and walking.
- Find ways to relax – Many migraineurs benefit from simple relaxation techniques like tai-chi, yoga, and meditation. Experiment with what methods work for you. Take note of what works best and what adjustments you need to make.
Improve the quality of your sleep
- Improve your bedroom to get better sleep – You can significantly reduce attacks better by staying in a dark and cool room. Keep distractions such as watching TV and using your phone to a minimum, so you don’t get tempted to do them before you finally sleep.
- Mind your meals before hitting the sack – As much as possible, you should avoid eating or drinking food products that could disrupt your sleeping patterns. Eating spicy foods, caffeinated drinks, alcohol, nicotine, and heavy meals could impact your sleep rhythms. You should also check your medication and look for stimulants like caffeine, which could also cause trouble in sleeping.
- Aim to maintain a consistent sleeping schedule – Many patients who suffer from migraine attacks report worse symptoms after making a few changes to their sleep schedule. If you nap during the day, make sure that you don’t oversleep. Otherwise, it could impact your sleeping schedule at night.
Make sure that you eat enough
- Never skip meals – Make sure that you eat your meals on time. Skipping your schedule or eating later than usual could affect your blood sugar levels. A lot of patients suffer from migraine attacks because of a sudden decrease in blood sugar.
- Ditch food items that trigger your condition – By now, you might have observed a few triggers of your situation. For example, you might notice worsening symptoms when you eat certain food items such as cheese, chocolate, and aged meats. It would be wise to keep a food diary so you can note products that may trigger or worsen your attacks.
Experiencing Better Pain Relief for Your Symptoms
Aside from the tips we shared above, there is another option you can use to ease your symptoms. It is through upper cervical chiropractic. As you may know now, besides causing severe bouts of headaches, migraines can also cause symptoms such as nausea and vomiting. Many migraineurs also report neck pain. The aching sensation sometimes begins on the neck’s base, radiating to various parts of the head. Patients who suffer from such a symptom turn to a chiropractor for migraines for help.
The idea of upper cervical care is to provide lasting relief from the pain and discomfort caused by migraines. The upper cervical chiropractor’s focus is to assess the alignment of upper cervical bones. Your neck bones serve a pivotal role in keeping your head balanced and your brainstem protected from damage. However, due to the neck bones’ structure and design, they become susceptible during an accident. Their position can easily get messed up, triggering problems such as migraine attacks.
Browse for a Chiropractor for Migraines Near You
It may surprise you how much improvement you can experience after receiving an upper cervical adjustment. It’s a simple and gentle process that involves well-calculated adjustments. After each adjustment, you can see improvements in your symptoms and ease the neckbones’ tension. This pain relief method aims to provide you with lasting relief so that the adjustment done holds in place even after a few years you have it.
If you observe neck pain as an accompanying symptom to your migraine episodes or if you previously suffered from neck trauma, you may find some relief with upper cervical chiropractic. All you need to do is find out how frequent the adjustments you need to correct your upper cervical bone misalignment. A chiropractor for migraines will guide you through the process.
Soon enough, you can reduce your migraine symptoms and begin working on chores with lesser interruptions. Just imagine how much work you can get done without dealing with uncomfortable migraine attacks and their accompanying symptoms.
Contact a nearby upper cervical chiropractor today for more information or to book a session.