Are you tired of how you feel after vertigo treatments? Do you find that expensive and invasive medical solutions offer high risk with not enough hope of success? If your doctor only offers you restrictive diets, invasive surgeries, ineffective medications, and risky ear injections as your only solutions, then it is time to take a natural approach to vertigo relief. We are going to consider some of the best home remedies for vertigo. Then we will suggest a natural therapy that has helped hundreds of patients in case studies to find real vertigo relief.
Self-Care for Vertigo Relief at Home
Here are a few things that you can start doing right now to experience fewer vertigo attacks depending on the underlying cause of your vertigo:
- Drink more water – Did you know that your vertigo fix could be as simple as increasing your water intake? Vertigo is an early symptom of dehydration, so if you recently moved to a hotter climate or have started a medication or a diet that can dry you out, then the solution may be to download an app to remind you to drink more.
- Quit smoking – You know that smoking is bad for you, but did you know that it could be making your vertigo worse? Vertigo problems are sometimes related to blood flow. Smoking reduces the size of the smallest blood vessels. Not only does your heart have to work harder to pump your blood, but some parts of the body may not be receiving the full supply they need. If this occurs in certain parts of the ears or the central nervous system, vertigo is one possible result.
- Get more exercise – We’re going to go back to the importance of blood flow. Exercise does the opposite to your blood vessels as smoking. So you can actually improve your circulation by getting regular exercise each day. Remember to take it easy at first and consult a physician to see how much exercise is safe at your current health levels. Even someone with many health problems can start out with a gentle stretching routine and work your way up from there. You get the added benefit of counteracting stress hormones with the hormones released during exercise. Since stress is a major trigger for vertigo, this is another way that you can improve your situation.
- Stand up straight – Posture can play a vital role in combating a commonly overlooked vertigo cause. When the neck is out of alignment, it can create the circumstances in the body that allow vertigo to recur. Therefore, proper posture is vital to keep any existing misalignment from becoming worse and to prevent the sort of unnecessary wear and tear that can cause future misalignments.
How the Neck Is Related to Vertigo
Consider the following ways in which upper cervical misalignments can lead to the right conditions for vertigo to become chronic:
- Blood flow – We have already mentioned the importance of blood flow several times in our discussion. What role do the top bones in the neck play when it comes to getting blood to the head? The cervical vertebrae have loops of bone called the vertebral foramen. These loops of bone provide safe passage for the arteries that bring blood to the head. Misalignments can inhibit this free flow of blood. As a result, the ears or even the brain may not be receiving optimal blood flow. This is one of the factors that can contribute to vertigo recurrence.
- Brainstem function – Another thing to consider is the proper function of the brainstem. Since signals regarding balance and spatial orientation have to pass through here on the way to the brain, you don’t want anything disturbing those signals. However, a misaligned atlas (C1) can do just that by putting pressure on the brainstem. This is because the atlas surrounds and protects the brainstem. However, the slightest misalignment can have adverse effects instead of providing protection. This is a second situation that can lead to vertigo.
- Ear function – A misaligned upper cervical spine can also affect the ears. When the atlas is misaligned, it throws off the balance of the head. The body compensates by making changes to keep the head properly balanced. However, these changes to the surrounding soft tissue can affect the eustachian tubes. If this occurs, the ears may fail to drain properly. Excess fluid in the inner ear is one of the fastest ways to end up seeing the room spinning.
How Upper Cervical Chiropractic Helps Vertigo
As you can now clearly see, there is evidence that an upper cervical misalignment can be the unknown underlying cause of a person’s vertigo. How can you rectify the situation? Upper cervical chiropractic is a subspecialty that is designed to detect misalignments of the top bones in the neck precisely and to provide safe and gentle corrections. Many patients find that when the upper cervical misalignment is corrected, vertigo grows less severe or even goes away completely.
If you have been suffering from vertigo and you don’t want to deal with the diets, medications, injections, or surgeries that are being recommended to you, this may be a way to find natural relief. Contact an upper cervical chiropractor in your area today to learn more. A no-obligation consultation may be your first step toward meeting your health and wellness goals, including getting control over a recurring vertigo issue. The search feature on this website can help you to find a preferred doctor in your area.
Latest posts by Dr. Cheney (see all)
- Putting Neck Pain to Bed: Sleep Tips for Less Painful Mornings - June 16, 2019
- How to Beat Vertigo Naturally - April 21, 2019
- The Top 10 Migraine Triggers – Is Yours on This List? - February 17, 2019