Fibromyalgia is a condition that results in chronic pain and many other symptoms. It can be difficult to deal with and may lead to depression for the sufferer. Is there anything you can do to help a loved one with fibromyalgia? Here are a few tips.
What You Should Know About Fibromyalgia
Having some basic knowledge about the condition can help you to be more empathetic. Here are a few important factors to consider.
- A fibromyalgia sufferer may not look ill, but the pain caused by this condition is very real.
- Pain is not the only symptom of fibromyalgia – Fatigue, insomnia, depression, confusion, and other symptoms may be just a difficult to deal with.
- Activity increases symptoms, so the patient needs to conserve energy for necessary activities. Sometimes that means passing on things he or she wants to do in order to have energy for things that must be done. Don’t take a decline on an invitation personally.
- Fibromyalgia patients must live one day at a time. The struggle starts over each morning, and the patient may not know what he or she can accomplish for the day before that very morning.
- Your love and friendship are appreciated. Every bit of help counts when dealing with a chronic illness, especially when someone can display genuine empathy.
How Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care May Help
I also want to introduce you to a natural way that many are using to find some relief from the pain of fibromyalgia. Upper cervical chiropractic care addresses a specific misalignment of the C1 and C2 vertebrae. When a misalignment exists here, it can put pressure on the brainstem and interfere with the proper passing of pain signals between the body and the brain. As a result, correcting the misalignment may help reduce symptoms for a fibromyalgia sufferer.
If you or a loved one has fibromyalgia, especially someone with a history of head or neck trauma, please schedule an appointment to learn what upper cervical chiropractic care can do to help.