Meniere’s disease is a rare (0.2% prevalence) vestibular condition that causes severe tinnitus, vertigo, and can lead to hearing loss. While there is no cure for this syndrome, there are a number of treatments and alternative therapies that are used to control symptoms. Let’s take a closer look at 5 such methods of care.
- Medication – The number one symptom that affects the quality of life for a Meniere’s patient is usually crippling vertigo. Thus, doctors often prescribe medications like diazepam or lorazepam to help reduce the length and severity of vertigo attacks.
- Dietary Restrictions – A low-salt diet can reduce fluid retention. Since, excess fluid in one ear is the direct cause of Meniere’s symptoms, dietary restrictions are advisable. However, this does not address what causes the fluid to build up. It merely lowers fluid levels in the body (which along with diuretics could lead to dehydration).
- Injections – Injections of antibiotics or steroids into the inner ear can provide relief from symptoms. However, these injections increase the risk of hearing loss associated with the syndrome, and they need to be regularly repeated as they only work for a limited time.
- Surgery – When other less invasive methods fail, doctors may recommend surgery to decompress the endolymphatic sac or even surgery on the vestibular nerve itself.
- Alternative Medicine – Acupuncture, acupressure, certain herbs, and chiropractic have all been suggested for Meniere’s patients. Let your doctor know what alternative therapies you are pursuing to ensure there are no conflicts in care. One particular alternative form of care that is of interest is upper cervical chiropractic care. Why is this the case?
Meniere’s Disease and the Upper Cervical Spine
Upper cervical research has shown a connection between neck injuries, atlas (C1) misalignments, and the onset of Meniere’s disease. In some studies, upper cervical care has had a 97% success rate in reducing the severity of vertigo symptoms. Contact a practitioner near you and find out if this is the natural solution you’ve been searching for.