When one is talking about vertigo, he is referring to a specific type of dizziness that involves the false sensation of movement. It is a symptom that is common to a number of conditions and can occur when there is a problem with the brain, the sensory nerve pathways, or the ears. It is most common in people over the age of 65.
There are about 60 different medical and psychiatric conditions that can cause vertigo, as well as certain medicines that cause vertigo as a side effect. It can be temporary –lasting only a few minutes – or long-term and may lead to depression as it can affect one’s daily activities and quality of life. There are many forms of vertigo, but we are going to take a closer look at central vertigo and how to find relief.
What Is Central Vertigo?
Central vertigo has the same symptoms as other forms of vertigo:
- A sensation that the person or the things around him are moving or spinning
- Lightheadedness and issues with balance
- Nausea and vomiting
- A sense of motion sickness
- Rotational dizziness
The types of vertigo are categorized by what causes them. With central vertigo, there is a disturbance in the parts of the brain known as sensory nerve pathways and is linked to problems with the central nervous system. It involves an interference in one of the following:
- Sensory messages to and from the thalamus
- The brainstem and cerebellum – the parts of the brain that control the sense of vision and balance
A migraine headache is the most common cause of central vertigo, comprising about 40% of cases.
Finding Natural Relief for Vertigo
Upper cervical chiropractors understand the vital connection between a misalignment in the upper neck and the onset of vertigo. If the misalignment lies in the C1 vertebra (atlas), it can be putting the brainstem under extreme stress. As a result, the brain receives improper signals about the position of the body. By using a gentle method to realign this bone, the brainstem can return to functioning properly once again. This may reduce or even eliminate vertigo sensations.
Latest posts by Dr. Cheney (see all)
- Top Fibro Fog Causes and Coping Methods - August 18, 2019
- Putting Neck Pain to Bed: Sleep Tips for Less Painful Mornings - June 16, 2019
- How to Beat Vertigo Naturally - April 21, 2019