Nobody likes tension headaches, especially when they happen at the most inopportune moment. It can cause mild to severe headaches that last up to several days. The worst part is that tension-type headaches can recur each month, compromising your work and personal life.
Fortunately, some natural ways work to ease your pain. In the discussion below, we’ll take a closer look at the secret natural remedies, including atlas bone adjustment.
Quick facts and stats on tension headaches
Before we dig into the secret ways to relieve tension-type headache, let’s briefly run through some facts and statistics:
- Roughly 8 out of 10 American adults suffer from tension headaches.
- 3 percent of folks with headaches experience chronic pain.
- The root cause of headaches remains uncertain.
- Tension headache can also be called a “normal headache.”
- A tightening sensation around the head best characterizes a tension headache.
The severity and frequency of a tension-type headache vary greatly. Some would say they don’t feel bothered by the pain at all. Others, on one hand, report disrupted routine. While taking pain medication can curb the symptoms temporarily, they don’t prevent or eliminate the problem.
Tension Headache Symptoms
Below are some of the key characteristics of a tension headache:
- Tightening feeling all around your head
- Pressure across your forehead
- Muscle pain or soreness on your neck and the sides of your head
- Tenderness on your scalp, hairlines, shoulders, and neck
- Sensitivity to bright lights or loud sounds
Most of the time, doctors classify tension-type headaches into two. To know which one you have, you should take note of the following:
- Chronic tension-type headaches: If your symptoms occur for more than 15 days each month and last for several hours, you most likely have the chronic type.
- Episodic tension-type headaches: If your symptoms go away after 30 minutes or a few hours and recur no more than 14 times each month, your headache might be episodic.
Top 3 Secret Remedies for Tension Headaches
Although tension or normal headaches can indeed impact your life, you can manage and cope by using simple self-care and natural remedies. The top three secrets to tension headache relief are as follows:
1. Working on your posture
Slouching, putting your phone in between your shoulder and arm, and swaying back are just a few examples of incorrect body posture. If you have some posture problems, you become more susceptible to a tension headache episode.
Failing to sit or stand properly puts pressure on your spine. It could also potentially cause pinching of the nerves and put a lot of pressure on your neck, back, shoulders, and the base of the head.
To address the issue, you should try to straighten your lower back when you sit or stand. If you always need to pick up the phone, you can invest in a wireless earphone. Additionally, if your posture results from a structural problem, you may seek the assistance of a physical therapist.
2. Maintaining a healthy diet
Everyone knows the importance of diet in maintaining good health. If you have chronic fatigue syndrome, your diet becomes even more critical, especially in improving your condition and preventing the onset of other debilitating symptoms. We recommend including the following food items in your diet:
- Fiber-rich food items
- Food with electrolytes and magnesium
- Natural protein sources like fish, eggs, and meat
Also, as much as possible, you should reduce your intake of food items that may induce inflammation. These include products you’re allergic to. Consequently, you should include anti-inflammatory food products such as fruits and veggies in your diet. They come in handy when dealing with stress. We also suggest the following practices:
- Always keep yourself hydrated
- Say no to food items that contain a lot of sugar
- Reduce your intake of caffeine, especially before going to bed
- Avoid smoking or drinking an excessive amount of alcohol
- You can try snacking every few hours to maintain normal blood sugar and feel energized.
3. Seeing an upper cervical chiropractor
Have you ever heard of atlas bone adjustment? Many people who suffer from intense bouts of headache have found relief from a series of atlas bone adjustments. That’s because the neck bones have a strong connection to your headaches. In fact, a slight misalignment in your cervical bones can cause your symptoms to worsen.
A cervical bone misalignment can cause your brainstem to send the wrong signals to your brain. It can also cause nerve irritation and compression. Lastly, neck bone misalignment can also cause muscle stress and strain. With upper cervical chiropractic help, you can fix your neck bones’ position and initiate healing of the affected nerves and your brainstem. It also removes unwanted pressure on your neck and spine.
Getting atlas bone adjustment for headache relief
If you have been living with chronic or episodic tension-type headaches for months, you might find it helpful to apply the secret remedies we shared above. Be extra mindful of your diet and try fixing your posture. On top of that, you should also look into upper cervical chiropractic. Find out if an atlas bone adjustment can help you resolve your debilitating headaches.
This way, you can enjoy each day without worrying about tension headaches. Instead, you can focus on doing chores or completing a project at work. It’s a worth-it procedure that can potentially change your life. A chiropractor customizes the approach used. More importantly, the adjustments made can hold for years, providing you with lasting relief from your headaches.
Contact an upper cervical care professional today for an atlas bone adjustment.