Vertigo is one of the most common symptoms that can afflict a person. If it becomes severe, chronic, or recurring, the effects can be truly debilitating. How can you get to the source of vertigo and put an end to it naturally, especially if you are among the half of patients who never find out what the underlying cause of their vertigo is? We’re about to show you the path that hundreds in case studies have followed to natural vertigo relief.
The Underlying Sources of Vertigo
While there are many different conditions that cause vertigo, they all spring from one of two sources, either the vestibular system or the central nervous system. The vestibular system is related to the ear and how the body balances itself and transmits data back and forth to the brain by means of the vestibular nerve.
The central nervous system interprets all of the signals that come from the ears and other parts of the body. Therefore, interference on the CNS side can also lead to problems with balance and spatial orientation. Is there anything that can help both the central nervous and vestibular systems to function optimally?
Finding Upper Cervical Specific Chiropractic – The First Step
Upper cervical chiropractic care is a subspecialty that can help the CNS and vestibular system to function their best. Here are some of the ways that an upper cervical misalignment can affect balance and spatial orientation:
- CNS effects – A misaligned C1 and C2 can inhibit brainstem function, reduce the proper supply of oxygen-rich blood to the brain, and result in cerebrospinal fluid pooling and increased intracranial pressure. Therefore, keeping the top two bones in the neck properly aligned is vital for optimal central nervous system function.
- Vestibular effects – The atlas (C1) is located directly between the eustachian tubes, which allow excess fluid in the ears the drain off. If a misalignment creates a lesion on the eustachian tubes, this can lead to earaches, vertigo, tinnitus, and many other vestibular symptoms. The overall function of the vestibular system relies on the proper alignment of everything in the vicinity, so correcting upper cervical subluxations is a must.
What to Expect on Your Initial Visit
If you have never heard of this chiropractic subspecialty before, you may wonder what will happen on your first visit. There are three key elements.
- Patient history – At this stage, the chiropractor is looking for possible causes of the upper cervical subluxation as well as symptoms that indicate such a misalignment exists. A misalignment can be caused by any sort of head or neck trauma such as a car accident, a sports injury, an assault, or a slip and fall. There are also forms of wear and tear that can lead to a misalignment such as years of poor posture. This is especially common in modern times where many people work while sitting at a desk and regularly look down to check mobile devices, straining the neck in the process.
- Physical examination – Depending on the practitioner, this may be performed before or after the next step, so these are not necessarily in order. Upper cervical chiropractors can detect a misalignment in the neck by looking at the shoulders, hips, and even leg length. This is because the atlas balances the skull. The slightest misalignment will cause changes throughout the spine and the surrounding soft tissue in order to keep your head on straight. As a result, one shoulder will become higher than the other, one hip will drop lower, and the legs will be of differing lengths when checked while lying down.
- Diagnostic imaging – Upper cervical adjustments require precision because fractions of a millimeter can make a difference in this sensitive region of the body. Therefore, diagnostic imaging techniques are used to measure misalignments of the C1 and C2 down to hundredths of a degree. Some forms of diagnostic imaging can also reveal the extent of the effects of the misalignment and will also reveal if there is any serious structural damage that would prevent the practitioner from correcting the misalignment (which would be rare).
This is usually the extent of the first visit. You won’t get an adjustment because the chiropractor needs time to calculate a precise adjustment for you based on your imaging.
Your Personalized Upper Cervical Adjustment
After the calculations are made, you are ready to get your first adjustment. The good news is that it may be completely different from anything you’ve ever experienced with chiropractic before. Because upper cervical adjustments are so precise, they are also very gentle. Whether the practitioner manipulates your neck by hand or with a preprogrammed adjusting instrument, you will feel very little. However, you will know the adjustment took place as you notice immediate benefits and others that gradually increase over time as your body begins to heal.
If you have been languishing under the heavy hand of vertigo, you may have just found the path to natural, long-term relief. In order to get your journey started, you need to locate a practitioner in your area. You can find one of our preferred doctors by using the search feature on this site. Schedule a no-obligation consultation as soon as possible to learn if this is the right option for you. You may be about to embark on a journey to better overall health and well-being, with the added benefit of possibly being vertigo-free.