Migraines and cluster headaches are two conditions that can cause severe head pain. But beyond that, there are very few similarities. The only other things the two conditions often have in common are that both generally involved one-sided pain and that congestion can be a symptom. Here are some of the biggest differences between the two and a natural way to find relief from both migraines and headaches.
5 Contrasts Between Migraines and Cluster Headaches
Here 5 of the primary differences:
- Migraines can last for hours or even days at a time. Cluster headaches last from just minutes to a few hours, but the pain is more severe and multiple headaches occur in one day.
- Migraines have a gradual onset – you may even have symptoms a day in advance. Cluster headaches go from zero pain to full intensity in under 10 minutes.
- Women who get migraines outnumber men by about three to one. Cluster headaches are more common in men.
- Migraines are very common and affect about 12% of adults. Cluster headaches are rare and affect less than one-third of one percent of people.
- Migraines often present with nausea and sensory sensitivity. Cluster headache symptoms include a watery, red eye on the affected side along with a drooping or swollen eyelid.
Now that you can identify the difference between these two conditions, is there a way to find relief from the pain without reaching for a bottle of pills?
Drug-Free Migraine and Headache Relief
Upper cervical chiropractic care has been helping many migraine and headache patients in case studies. This is because many of these conditions go back to a misalignment of the atlas (C1) or axis (C2) vertebrae. Such a misalignment can affect blood flow to the brain, cerebrospinal fluid drainage, brainstem function, and many other factors that are related to head pain and other symptoms.
If you’ve experienced head or neck trauma in the past, you are more likely to have a subluxation in the C1 or C2. However, even if you don’t remember such an injury, it is worth having an examination if you are dealing with a chronic headache condition. You may be a gentle adjustment away from finding natural relief.