Information about Meniere’s disease published in 2014 gave some deeper insight into the condition and who are often afflicted with it. Meniere’s disease is a problem within the inner ear and has the following symptoms:
- Vertigo – a false sensation of movement
- A feeling of fullness or pressure in the ear
- Hearing loss
- Tinnitus – ringing in the ears
It is considered to be non-fatal and, therefore, seems to get little attention in the scientific community. However, as many as 1 in every 1000 people suffer from this condition, and it does merit attention. Some facts that were discovered in the above-mentioned study are as follows:
- It is more prevalent in females, Caucasians, and older ones
- It is also seen more often in the poor and those who are overweight
- Those with this condition suffer falls more often and have more mental health issues
- Meniere’s disease is linked to an immune system disorder
Interestingly, lead researcher, Dr. Jessica Tyrrell, noted that a dysfunction in the immune system plays a vital role in the start of the condition and includes other factors such as the nervous system. What can cause these systems to malfunction?
Meniere’s Disease Related to a Spinal Misalignment
If the C1 or C2 vertebra has moved out of proper alignment due to a fall, a car accident, or other trauma to the head or neck, the immune system may stop working at its optimum. This has to do with the fact that the brainstem is located in the same area as these bones. When they move out of alignment, they place stress or pressure on the brainstem – part of the central nervous system. This causes the signals being sent to and from the brain and body to become distorted, potentially leading to such conditions as Meniere’s disease.
Upper cervical chiropractors use a gentle method to assist the bones to move back into place naturally. When this is accomplished, the body can begin to work at its peak, and this is often all that is needed to see a decrease Meniere’s symptoms. To learn more, contact an upper cervical chiropractor near you.
Latest posts by Dr. Perin (see all)
- 7 Facts that Show Migraines Are More than just Bad Headaches - November 12, 2017
- A Link Between Vertigo and Osteoporosis - August 13, 2017
- 3 Beverages that May Help Your Migraines - June 4, 2017