Debunking Myths Surrounding Vertigo

Vertigo Relief, Dizziness Relief, Dizzy, Meniere’s Disease Relief, Vertigo, Dizziness, Meniere’s , Meniere’s Disease

What is Vertigo ? Who gets it? What is the best way to care for it? Because this is such a common condition, everyone seems to have an opinion, and while the Internet is a great research tool, there is a lot of misinformation out there. Here are a few ideas about this condition that are commonly repeated but are not accurate.

  • Vertigo Is the Fear of Heights – Nope. A fear of heights is called acrophobia. This misconception probably goes back to the Hitchcock film entitled Vertigo that is about a man with a fear of heights. Vertigo is a false sensation of movement. The patient either feels like he is spinning or that the room around him is moving.
  • The Words Dizziness and Vertigo Are Interchangeable – This too is technically incorrect although many do use the terms this way. Dizziness refers to a general feeling of lightheadedness. Vertigo, again, is the false sensation of movement. Knowing the difference can help you describe your symptoms to a healthcare practitioner more accurately.
  • It Comes from a Problem in the Ear – Okay, so this one has some truth to it. Central vertigo refers to the rare cases of vertigo that are caused directly by central nervous system issues. However, it is also important to consider what is causing the ear problems that lead to a spinning sensation. Sometimes it can be something as simple as an infection, and vertigo clears up when the condition resolves.

How Upper Cervical Chiropractic Helps with Vertigo

The Eustachian tubes are responsible for keeping an excess of fluid from building up in the ears. It is this fluid that can result in a spinning sensation. Unfortunately, if anything throws off the function of these tubes, the ears have no proper way to drain. An upper cervical misalignment can be the underlying factor.

It makes sense then that when those who suffer head or neck trauma before the onset of vertigo are cared for with upper cervical adjustments, the results are often astounding. For example, in one study involving 60 vertigo patients, 80% saw the end of vertigo symptoms within 6 months, and the other 20% all saw a significant reduction in severity.  

If you suffer from a false sense of spinning, especially if you have a head or neck injury in your history, seek a consultation with an upper cervical chiropractor.

Find An Upper Cervical Doctor in Your Areato schedule a consultation today.

Find an Upper Cervical Specialist In Your Area

to schedule a consultation today.

Search
Featured Articles

Videos

Montel Williams
Montel Williams

TV show host Montel Williams describes how specific chiropractic care has helped his body.

NBC's The Doctors

The TV show "The Doctors" showcased Upper Cervical Care.

CBS News/Migraine Relief

CBS News highlighted the alleviation of Migraines and Headaches.

The content and materials provided in this web site are for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended to supplement or comprise a medical diagnosis or other professional opinion, or to be used in lieu of a consultation with a physician or competent health care professional for medical diagnosis and/or treatment. All content and materials including research papers, case studies and testimonials summarizing patients' responses to care are intended for educational purposes only and do not imply a guarantee of benefit. Individual results may vary, depending upon several factors including age of the patient, severity of the condition, severity of the spinal injury, and duration of time the condition has been present.

©2015–2024 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.