If you have ever wondered whether anyone truly understands your migraine condition, rest assured that you are not alone. We’re going to look at some migraine facts that reveal just how prevalent of a condition this is. So why do we lack effective ways to get help with migraines? We’ll also discuss an often-overlooked underlying problem.
5 Up-to-Date Migraine Facts
The following 5 statistics are based on migraines in the US:
- Someone in nearly a quarter of households suffers from migraines. – That means just about everyone knows a person with migraines, and for many it is a family member.
- Annually, about 1.2 million visits to the ER are for an acute migraine attacks. – While this means just a small percentage of the 38 million Americans with migraines end up in the ER, it does show just how bad an individual attack can be.
- 9 in 10 migraine sufferers can’t work during an attack. – The result is about 113 million missed days of work per year. That equates to about $13 billion in losses for US companies.
- A family with at least one migraine patient will spend approximately 70% more in health care. – This helps to highlight the financial burden caused by migraines beyond the physical burden.
- There are only about 500 doctors in the US who are certified as headache specialists. – When compared to the 38 million migraine sufferers needing help, it’s no wonder most just see a primary care physician, if they bother to go to the doctor at all.
Getting to the Root Cause of Migraines
Did you know that the underlying issue for many migraine and headache conditions is an upper cervical misalignment? Such a misalignment can affect brainstem function, prevent proper cerebrospinal fluid drainage, or even inhibit proper blood flow to the brain.
If you would like to see if a precise and gentle adjustment may be able to help you cope with migraines, contact an upper cervical chiropractor in your area. You may find that good spinal health is the key to better overall health and wellbeing.