Neck pain is a common complaint, and there are many reasons that such discomfort may occur. Whether you are dealing with an ache, soreness, or sharp pain, here is a little more about what may be causing the pain and a potential solution that is gentle and natural.
Neck Pain Causes
Injuries are one of the major causes of neck pain. Such trauma can occur as the result of a fall, car accident, or sports injury. However, some injuries may be due to repetitive motion. These injuries are commonly due to something sports or work related. For example:
- Frequent turning of the head to one side while swimming.
- Poor posture while sitting at a desk and using a monitor.
- Cradling a phone with the shoulder resulting in being in an abnormal position frequently.
- Tension from excessive stress.
- Text neck—Named for the favorite activity of smartphone users. Looking down at a phone or tablet for long periods of time can cause neck pain.
Additional causes may be due to certain disorders. Spinal arthritis can cause pain as the discs begin to wear away. A herniated or slipped disc in the neck can also cause pain.
Care for Neck Pain at the Source
Neck pain can often be the result of an upper cervical misalignment. Such a misalignment can occur during any of the activities noted above. When the head or neck is injured, and the C1 or C2 vertebra become misaligned, this can affect the tissues and muscles of the neck. Stiffness, soreness, or achiness may be the result.
If you are suffering from neck pain, especially if you have suffered an injury, work in an office, or use mobile devices habitually, a misalignment may be the underlying cause. Correcting the misalignment can give the irritated nerves and tissues the time they need to heal. As a result, neck pain can become a thing of the past.