What is a herniated disc and why is it responsible for back pain? There are discs located between each of the vertebrae of the back. These discs are gel-like substances that do not allow the bones to rub against each other. However, if these discs move out of place, nerve irritation and inflammation can be a result. This can cause a tingling sensation in parts of the body and may even lead to severe pain and temporary paralysis. This condition is also referred to as a slipped disc.
Symptoms of a Herniated Disc
- Weakness: Muscles can become weak and difficult to use due to irritation of nerves. This can cause paralysis on a temporary basis.
- Pain in the arms or legs: This is relative as to which disc in the back is affected.
- Tingling/Numbness: This is due to the irritation of the nerves affected by the herniated disc. It may feel as if the part of the body is always asleep or it may be so slight that it is barely noticeable.
- Back Pain: This will be in the area of the back where the disc is herniated.
All of these symptoms are a warning signal from the body that something is not right. If a person notices these, it is time to seek help from a professional who understands why disc herniation and back pain occur.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic and Back Pain
Getting the spine into alignment and balanced as it should be is the first priority when someone comes into my office complaining of back pain. The more that the weight of the body is unevenly distributed, the more damage is being done to the spine, including the discs, joints, nerves, and muscles. Upper cervical chiropractic involves precise methods of determining the location and degree of misalignments in the upper neck area. Often these are the underlying cause of back pain, even lower back pain. That is because they can result in changes in posture and add to uneven weight distribution. Once corrected, patients often report feeling much healthier and in less pain overall.
Latest posts by Dr. Cicala (see all)
- 6 Fibromyalgia Triggers to Avoid - October 21, 2018
- Ways to Get Vertigo Relief that No One Talks About - September 16, 2018
- Your Guide to Lasting Sciatica Relief - August 19, 2018