Dizziness may occurs suddenly, and it can be disconcerting. The good news is that there is often a fixable underlying cause. However, if dizziness or lightheadedness occurs at the gym, there may be additional factors involved. What is frequently the underlying cause of dizziness?
A Common Underlying Cause of Dizzy Spells
Dizziness can manifest itself in different ways from balance problems to vertigo. The underlying issue, however, is often the same. When the C1 and C2 vertebrae become misaligned, this can affect blood flow to the brain and the ears. Brainstem function may also be affected. These can all be factors in dizziness.
Additional Factors Connected to Dizziness and Exercise
If you specifically find dizziness occurs when you are working out, here are 4 potential causes and solutions.
- Dehydration – Be sure to stay well hydrated at all times, but especially while exercising.
- Improper Breathing – Sometimes people forget to breathe during exercises like planking. This can result in reduced blood flow and dizziness.
- Low Blood Sugar – You don’t want a full stomach while exercising, but if you wait too long after a meal your body may not have enough fuel for the physical exertion.
- Low Blood Pressure – If your blood pressure drops suddenly when you stand up, the problem could be low blood pressure. For some, the fix is as simple as adding a pinch of salt to meals.
Helping General Dizziness Issues Naturally
Most dizziness problems are not specific to exercise. In fact, you may get dizzy from things as simple as bending over to pick something up or moving your head too quickly. If this is the case, the underlying issue may be a subluxation in the upper cervical spine.
By correcting a C1 and C2 misalignment, an upper cervical chiropractor may be able to help reduce or eliminate the frequency of dizzy spells. Find a practitioner near you to learn more about this precise and gentle form of chiropractic. It may be your first step down the path to better overall health.
Latest posts by Dr. Kleinfelter (see all)
- Fibromyalgia FAQ: The Most Important Questions You Can Ask - October 13, 2019
- Back Pain During Pregnancy: Causes and Care Options that are Safe for Mom and Baby - August 11, 2019
- How to Combat the Top Causes of Vertigo - June 10, 2019