There are many types of headaches with some being just a mild annoyance and others ruining an entire day (or several). You may wonder if there is anything you can do to relieve headaches at home besides reaching into the medicine cabinet for a pain reliever. We’re going to exam 3 potential home remedies and one long-term solution that is benefiting many as word spreads of its effectiveness.
3 Home Remedies for Headaches
Here are 3 things you can start doing today to reduce the frequency and severity of your headaches.
- Keep a Journal – The idea is to learn what triggers your headaches by keeping track of what led up to an episode. Then you can avoid as many triggers as possible. For example, if you find that headaches frequently begin after smelling a strong fragrance, you can limit the fragrances in your home and avoid locations where you are likely to encounter strong scents. On the other hand, if the weather is a trigger, you may not be able to escape a headache, but at least you can plan ahead.
- Use Essential Oils – Some essential oils can have a powerful effect on headaches. In some cases, you may need a diffuser to get the scent into the air. Other oils are used topically. Remember to use high-quality oils. A few that are touted for headache relief ability include basil oil, peppermint oil, and lavender oil.
- Change Your Diet – Certain foods may lead to more frequent headaches. Eliminate these foods and eat more fresh vegetables and other nutritious foods. Some foods linked to headaches include foods that use the flavor enhancer MSG, foods that contain nitrates, and any foods you may have a sensitivity too.
Long-Lasting Headache Relief
Of course, none of these home remedies attack headaches at their source. For many headache sufferers, the underlying problem is a misalignment of the C1 and C2 vertebrae at the base of the skull. A misalignment in this sensitive area can affect blood flow to the brain and put pressure on the brainstem or spinal cord.
Latest posts by Dr. Kiefer (see all)
- 7 Things You Must Do After Getting a Migraine Diagnosis - September 23, 2018
- Vertigo: Understanding How Motor Output Works with Balance - June 24, 2018
- 8 Suggestions for Living with Chronic Migraines - March 25, 2018