If you have been suffering from back pain on a long-term basis, you’ve probably had the entire gamut of treatment options recommended to you, including much of the usual like:
- Opioids for pain management
- RFD – radiofrequency denervation (requires local anesthesia, electric current is used to intentionally damage the nerves in order to stop them from sending pain signals to the brain)
The dangers of opioids for pain management are well known, and surgical options are invasive, expensive, and frequently ineffective. RFD has been touted as a minimally invasive alternative. However, three randomized studies have revealed that this therapy provides little to no benefit for those suffering from lower back pain.
The clinical trials were broken up into three parts. One showed that no benefit was received for patients experiencing facet joint pain when treating with RFD. The other two studies revealed no clinical significance for RFD in treating pain in the SI (sacroiliac) joint.
Finding Real Help for Lower Back Pain
The fact is that the secret to lower back often lies in the fact that the lumbar spine is misaligned in response to an upper cervical misalignment. When a subluxation occurs in the C1 and C2, the rest of the spine and surrounding soft tissue responds in order to keep the head properly balanced. As a result, while the pain occurs in the lower back, the actual problem is in the upper neck.
Upper cervical chiropractors work to correct this type of misalignment through precision measurements and gentle adjustments. Corrections are thus long lasting and give the body the time it needs to heal from soft tissue damage. Many patients find that this provides some immediate relief from back pain and that these positive results continue to grow over time.
Latest posts by Dr. Gilbert (see all)
- 10 Things You Can Do to Start Improving Back Pain Now - December 10, 2017
- Preventing the Top 5 Neck Pain Culprits - September 10, 2017
- A Non-Invasive and Long-Term Alternative to Back Pain Relief - July 2, 2017