Researchers at the University of Colorado School of Medicine feel they are close to banishing the disabling condition referred to as Meniere’s disease. What is Meniere’s disease?
Meniere’s disease is a condition of the inner ear known for:
- Vertigo – a dizzy, spinning sensation of false movement
- Tinnitus – a ringing in the ears
- Partial hearing loss
- A feeling of fullness in the affected ear
Attacks of Meniere’s often hit suddenly and without warning. However, in some cases, tinnitus or muffled hearing may precede an episode. It generally affects those in their 40s and 50s although it can hit at any age. The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders estimates that 45,500 new Meniere’s cases are diagnosed every year. In the USA, 3 to 5 million are afflicted with this condition. While Meniere’s disease is extremely disabling, it only becomes really serious when it is not cared for in a timely manner. This can lead to permanent hearing loss.
The research noted above discovered a connection between decreased blood flow to the brain and Meniere’s disease, as well as migraines. Researchers say that Meniere’s is caused by:
- Malformation of the inner ear that leads to buildup of fluid
- Similar risk factors for vascular disease – smoking, atherosclerosis, migraines, and sleep apnea
They feel that this discovery will help them find ways to care for Meniere’s disease successfully.
What Upper Cervical Chiropractors Have Known for Years
Upper cervical chiropractors have been helping Meniere’s patients by improving things such as blood flow to the head. This is done by correcting any misalignments in the upper neck. If a misalignment is present in this location, blood flow may be hindered from reaching and leaving the brain and ears in the proper amounts. Using a gentle, effective method, they correct the misalignment, and this may restore proper blood flow. For many, these gentle adjustments have been effective in helping curb the effects of Meniere’s disease.
Latest posts by Dr. Pancake (see all)
- 10 Causes of Dizziness and When It’s Time to Get Help - October 22, 2017
- 3 Potential Ways to Cope with a Fibromyalgia Flare-Up - August 20, 2017
- 7 Signs It’s Time to Get Medical Help for a Headache - June 11, 2017