Dealing with chronic headaches, perhaps even daily ones, can be difficult for both a patient and a healthcare practitioner. There a number of factors to be considered when trying to determine the best way to deal with chronic headaches. Here are 5 vital things to pay attention to:
- The underlying cause – Unfortunately, this often goes undiagnosed in chronic headache conditions. However, it is important to try and find the underlying problem that is causing the headaches so the issue can be corrected at its source.
- Identifying triggers – If possible, identifying triggers can help you to find things to avoid in order to reduce the frequency with which headaches occur. One common trigger for headaches is medication overuse. The very over-the-counter pills that many take to get rid of headaches can actually make them happen more often if taken too frequently.
- Detoxing from medication – If medication overuse is playing a role in the chronic headache condition (and it is extremely common), coming off of all headache medications for several days, a week, or longer may be necessary to determine just how much of the condition was caused by medication building up in the patient’s system.
- Patient history – One thing to look for in a patient’s history is any type of head or neck trauma. Whiplash from a car accident or a concussion from a sports injury can easily lead to an upper cervical misalignment and, in turn, chronic headaches.
- Upper cervical chiropractic – This is a specialized form of chiropractic care that involves the use of diagnostic imaging to measure precise misalignments of the top bones of the neck. Then, gentle adjustments are used to correct these misalignments. As a result, headaches may become less frequent or severe. Many have even found complete resolution from daily headaches with the help of an upper cervical practitioner.
Find Natural Help for Chronic Headaches Today
If you suffer from daily headaches, especially if you have a history of neck or head trauma, this may be the solution for you. To learn more, find a practice in your area and schedule a consult.
Latest posts by Dr. Lin - Danielle (see all)
- Top Five Habits to Check for Back Pain Sufferers - January 28, 2018
- 7 TMJ Myths Revealed - September 17, 2017
- Chronic Headaches – 5 Important Factors in Finding Relief - August 13, 2017