Fibromyalgia may primarily be a chronic pain condition, but there are many other symptoms that can add to how debilitating it is. Sleep disturbances can be a major factor in fibromyalgia flare-ups because lack of sleep increases pain levels in the body. Thus, a cycle can quickly form that it is tough to escape, where lack of sleep increases pain and increased pain makes it tougher to sleep.
5 Sleep Tips for Fibromyalgia Sufferers
- Set the Right Environment – You want to be sure that nothing will keep you from falling asleep or wake you once you drift off. That means minimizing any lights or sounds in the room. Shut the TV and be sure to set mobile devices for silent mode. Even a phone vibrating on the nightstand may keep you from getting into deeper sleep cycles.
- Keep a Schedule – If you go to bed at the same time every night, your body will grow used to the cycle. Once you stay up past your bedtime, it may actually become tougher to fall asleep.
- Essential Oils – Some people swear that certain scents make it easier to sleep. The more popular choices include lavender, bergamot, ylang-ylang, sage, and chamomile. If you choose this option, discuss it with your healthcare provider, and be sure to avoid anything you are allergic to.
- Sleep Naked – This may sound like a funny solution, but that fact is that humans sleep better when our skin temp is lower, and this is an easier and cheaper solution than turning the A/C up all night. Staying cool at night also cranks up the metabolism, has circulation benefits, and reduces cortisol levels.
- Upper Cervical Chiropractic – When the atlas (C1) is out of alignment, it can put pressure on the brainstem and inhibit blood flow to the brain. Correcting the misalignment may help to reduce symptoms, including pain levels, leading to an easier time getting to and staying asleep. To learn more, contact an upper cervical practitioner near you.
Latest posts by Dr. Lazar (see all)
- Top 10 Most Common Migraine Triggers (and What to Do About Them) - October 1, 2017
- 5 Tips to Help Fibromyalgia Patients Sleep Better - August 13, 2017
- Exercise and Other Natural Ways to Relieve Lower Back Pain - July 9, 2017